Over the past 6 months, I have been involved in the recruitment of about 10 people. This is very positive as most people were filling new posts.
I usually just use FAS.ie as my advertising medium and receive up to 100 applications. This requires a lot of work so naturally, I am looking for ways to deselect candidates and have to be ruthless as follows:
2. When there is no reference to what job they are applying for – I dont rate them highly
3. When there are references to other jobs they have applied for and it is quite simply a copy and paste job with different colours and fonts – I dont rate highly.
4. When they fail to give their attached CV a relevan name – Best option is to call it “your own name” cv. doc. Receiving latestcv.doc 50 times means that I have to rename and re-save – easier to delete
5. Spelling and Grammer mistakes plus txt language is not appropriate on application
6. Screening calls or not answering your mobile when on the hunt for jobs is crazy – you are either looking for a job or not.
7. Not replying to emails in a timely manner will affect your chances.
9. Badly prepared CV with irrelevant information – I’m not bothered that you did a manual handling course in 1981! Keep it current.
These are just the reasons why you will not stand a chance for first interview – and you have full control of this.
Its tough out there – but don’t make it tougher on yourself….